December 14, 2009

In the Aftermath of Life, SiP and The Tempest

Okay so this post is several months overdue, but it's been hard getting over the end of The Tempest and the end of Shakespeare in Paradise, especially when everything else came charging forward to "greet" me.

LIFE

So I had been joking up until October that the only reason I was able to keep up with SiP was because I was coasting when it came to COB. Hadn't done much work up to that point, and much of what I was supposed to do, I managed to postpone. I even squeezed in a reporting job at Islands of The World Fashion Week in November. I really enjoyed that, despite the fact that I never imagined myself attending a fashion show. I really look forward to having that experience again. Nevertheless, the semester is over now, and I managed to come hurtling out of it without any bruises. It's kind of a blur, and there are still one or two things I need to do, before the chapter is officially closed in my head. But that was another tough semester to get through. Now that I have a job, I suppose next semeste won't b any easier. But at least things are going to come together at some point in time. I guess I'm just looking forward to that.

SHAKESPEARE IN PARADISE and THE TEMPEST

I truly met some amazing people and had a fantastic time at Shakespeare in Paradise! I got to see 3 of the other 6 shows: Caribban Voices, One White One Black, and Music of The Bahamas. The Tempest itself managed to improve at every performance, until Sunday night, when it was perfectly "tight and yare"! Everyone's appreciation for Rachael's and my work as stage managers blew me away! Every night, hearing the things that the cast had said to me, it meant more to me that any of them could have known.

For a long time after, I think I tried to distance myself from the experience for a few reasons. For one, it was incredibly easy to "forget" about the withdrawal by burying myself in school. But more importantly, seperating myself from this living breathing entity was somewhat painful. I can't say right now how much I miss seeing everyone. Every now and then, Travis opens that small wound by saying the words outloud though. At the moment, I have it simplified to one single reminder on my iPod and iTunes: the song "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry, which played the night the cast for The Tempest went to Crazy Johnny's. The song is accompanied on my iTunes by a photo of me, Rachael and Patti from that night. It's both beautiful and sad - the reminder of something wonderful and the fact that it couldn't last forever.

SO WHAT NOW?

Well, right now, I'm working at Catch 22, a really great shoe store in the mall. I like it. And of course, it's monopolizing my time. But. Not Anymore. I'm going to finish off the play I started this Summer before the year 2010 rolls around (hopefully), and then we'll see from there. There is so much that I want to develop in myself and the challenge is to find the balance in life that will allow me to always be at full potential... I suppose that's worth a shot.

I hope I make the effort to post again soon, but if not, don't forget:

All Tongue! No Eyes! Be Silent!

No comments:

Post a Comment