August 11, 2009

The Tempest Coming Together

Tonight we had our second rehearsal for Shakespeare's The Tempest, which Ringplay Productions is putting on for October's Shakespeare in Paradise festival (that was a mouthful). I'm not actually in the cast, rather I'm one of the Stage Managers. I was really overwhelmed and anxious at first, but now that everything's started, I'm getting really excited!

The excitement started when I got to interview Craig Pinder (Co-Directer/Prosper) via e-mail and was furthered with I interviewed Patti-Anne Ali (Co-Director). The way they both talked about their expectations and how they got involved with the project just brought The Tempest back to life for me, having helped dramaturge it for the festival. More so was the play brought to life in tonight and last night's reading of it. Hearing the various actors read their lines and getting an idea of how it is going to sound out loud was great! The actors also had a discussion about the play and the characters and the adaptation, and even Shakespeare's intentions and what he was doing when he wrote the play.

It's been really cool so far and of course the little excercises Craig has given us and the things he's had to say always seem to get things going and get people's enthusiasm to kick in. It's been great! I'm really looking forward to the developments that are made. I know it's going to be fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment